Friday, February 8, 2013

Feature & Follow - Thrown from a Mardis Gras Float




This week's F&F question: If "they" were throwing the HOTTEST books off a Mardis Gras float, what would you do to have "them" throw to you?

I misread the question and wrote the entire piece below based on what "Hot" books would be thrown. In answer to the question asked, however, being male, I would make sure I was close to a very attractive woman, since, as I understand it, the attractive ladies are more likely to get the swag than anybody else. Or maybe carry a picture??? Probably not.

As to what hot books I would hope to receive...

I think it would have to start with Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary. In 1857 on February 8, Flaubert was acquitted of "immorality", the accusation of which he received from the initial serialized publication of that seminal work. In a way, Flaubert paved the way for all the "HOT" books since then, up to and including Fifty Shades of Gray.

Then I think it would have to be Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five and Sinclair Lewis' Elmer Gantry, both of which evinced a storm of "heated" protest over their controversial themes. Finally, in a nod to the bodice-rippers that laid the groundwork for today's romance novels, I would include Kathleen Woodiwiss' The Flame and the Flower.

Always love to hear your opinions. Leave a comment! Thanks.

 

2 comments:

  1. New GFC follower. I never thought to stand next to a pretty girl in hopes of getting books. Good answer.
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same issue with the question... Oh well!
    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete