Thursday, February 21, 2013

Throwback Thursday - Heinlein's Friday

 
 
I read this for the first time as a teen ager and was impressed mostly with the idea that the protagonist was female doing all the things associated, at that time, much more chauvinistic than now, with men. Friday was a soldier, a survivor, and a mechanical engineer. She survived on her wits and skill. She was tough and gritty.
 
I also found the society that Heinlein wove in a spacefaring, resource-tight, world, very intriguing. Draconian in part, progressive in part, egalitarian yet police state-like. It drew me in as a very complex and conflicting world view.
 
Heinlein's more popular Starship Troopers never piqued my interest, and I found Job too didactic but Friday was, for me, a very good read.
 
Please post a comment with your thoughts and follow us!
 


2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one, but I love the idea of a female soldier/engineer protagonist in a sci-fi novel. I'll need to check it out! Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been years since I read Friday, but that title got me started on a Heinlein kick that's still going strong today.

    I had a tough time getting into Starship Troopers too, but Job I've gone back to again and again, especially as I learn more about religion.

    if you're interested in more Heinlein, The Puppetmasters and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress are, in my opinion, his masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete