Thursday, January 30, 2014

Throwback Thursday - Saint-Exupery, Silhouette Special Edition, Cavendish's History

 
Throwback Thursday is a weekly meme hosted by The Housework Can Wait and Never too fond of Books.

Several old favorites walked across my desk in the past month.

One from my days as a brick and mortar seller was a batch of early Silhouette Special Editions from when Silhouette was still published by Pocket. The advent of Silhouette and other similar lines from other U.S. publishers finally forced Harlequin to bring a lot of American authors onboard and expand their offerings.

A second was a story about Antoine de Saint-Exupery that I heard on the radio. I knew Saint-Exupery had been a pilot in World War II but I did not know he wrote his most famous book, The Little Prince, in French, while a refugee within a few miles of where I live and that he then returned to the war only to die in combat.

Finally, I found a collection of Cavendish's History of World War II. Cavendish published the History in 96 weekly installments in 1973 and 1974 (in the U.S., a few years earlier in the UK). An interesting concept and, for the time, a well-done publication, fit for both the historian and the amateur.

What's crossed you desk recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment