Friday, May 30, 2014

Feature and Follow - Great Characters or Gorgeous Writing?

Alison Can Read Feature & Follow

Feature & Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read where two blogs are featured. Click the links above to follow the hosting bloggers and featured bloggers. Enter your own post's link in the linky, then hop around to as many blogs as you can - find new blogs to follow and gain new followers as well. Mingle and make some new bloggy friends!

This week's question: How important is good writing to you? In an ideal world, a book would be beautifully written AND have great character development, plot, etc. But in the real world, which do you prefer: (1) Great characters and plot with lousy writing or (2) Middling character development and plot but gorgeous writing.

This one, for me, is easy. Bad writing is simply too distracting. I can't force myself through something that is poorly written, or contains typos (more than the odd one off), or grammatical errors. No matter how great the plot, the character, or anything else. Sorry, just can't.

What about you?

7 comments:

  1. I completely agree with the bad writing, so many promising stories have been ruined for me by bad spelling/grammar. Blame the English degree haha. Have a great weekend :)
    My F&F

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a different view. I could forgive the lousy writing as long as I could connect with the characters and be awed with the plot.

    New google+ follower. Old bloglovin and GFC follower. My ff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish I could ignore the writing, sometimes I really do.

      Delete
  3. I'd have to choose characters, though I'm not sure if I've ever read a badly written book that really distracted me from the characters. I'm a new GFC follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, you'd know if it distracted you from the characters! It's also the editing. From major publishers. I once tried to red a book that would have rendered your sentence "I'd have to chose characters...badly writen book that realy..." It was awful!

      Delete
  4. I think you make some really great points because spelling errors, grammatical mistakes, and just poor writing overall is distracting for sure. Thanks for stopping by My FF @ Donnie Darko Girl! Old follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good answer to a hard question. I'm an existing follower.
    Diane @ Diane's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete